Lunchbox Ideas 12 : Sabudana Tikki, Amaranth Pudding And More
Lunchbox Ideas 12
Short Break : Sabudana Tikki with Khatti Meethi Chutney
Lunch : Puliyogare [ Tamarind rice], Daangar Pachdi [Urad Dal Raita], Rajgira Kheer [Amaranth Pudding]
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
1. Soak 1/2 cup of sabudana/sago in 1/4 cup of water. Cover and leave for 4-5 hours or overnight.
2. Pressure cook 2 medium potatoes for 4-5 whistles.
3. Roast and grind the urad dal for the daangar pachdi.
4. The khatti meethi chutney can be prepared and refrigerated.
5. Prepare cornflakes powder/ keep the bread crumbs ready to coat the tikkis before pan frying.
Khatti Meethi Chutney
Here’s the link for a quick 5 minute recipe for a yummy khatti meethi chutney.
Sabudana Tikki/ Sago Fritters
1. Peel and chop the boiled potatoes roughly into tiny chunks.
2. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan.
3. Add 1 tsp of mustard seeds.
4. Once the mustard splutters, add 1 sprig of curry leaves, a pinch of heeng and the soaked sago.
5. Fry for a couple of minutes and sprinkle a little water if required.
6. Add the potato chunks, 1 tsp of turmetic powder,1 chopped green chilli and salt to taste.
7. Mix well and cook until the sago turns transparent and soft.
8. Turn off heat and add some chopped coriander.
9. Once it cools , take large lemon sized balls of the mixture and pat into ‘tikkis’
10. Coat with powdered cornflakes/ bread crumbs. [ You can keep these ready and store refrigerated in an air tight container for 1-2 days]
11. Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a smal flat non stick pan.
12. Place 4-5 tikkis in the hot oil.
13. Fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame [or until the base starts to turn golden]
14. Flip and fry the other side similarly.
15. Allow the excess oil to drain on a paper towel and serve.
Puliyogare/ Tamarind Rice
1. Pressure cook 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water for 2 whistles.
2. Once the pressure comes down, open the lid and allow the rice to cool.
3. Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a pan [ preferably gingilly oil]
4. Add 1 tbsp of groundnuts and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 1 tsp of mustard seeds, a sprig of curry leaves and 2 heaped tbsps of puliyogere powder [I used MTR puliyogere powder]
6. Mix well and fry for a minute on medium flame.
7. Turn off the heat .
8. Mix the puliyogere masala with the cooled rice [ don’t stir and mash the rice- toss the spice mix and rice together to combine]
9. Garnish with chopped coriander.
Amaranth Pudding/ Rajgira Kheer
1. Pressure cook 1/2 cup of amaranth seeds with 1 cup of water on medium heat for 3 whistles.
2. Once the pressure comes down, add 1/2 litre of milk and cook on medium heat.
3. Stir often and cook until the milk starts to thicken. [15-20 minutes]
4. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and mix well.
5. Stir continuously and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and serve.
Daangar Pachdi/ Urad Dal raita
Here’s the link for this amazing recipe I learnt from my mother-in-law.