Lunchbox Ideas 15
Short Break- Channa Dal Sundal, Fruits [Musk melon musambi]
Lunch- Dal Makhani, Rice and Curd
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
1. Soak the lentils [for dal makhani] in hot water for 4-5 hours and pressure cook. Store refrigerated once cooled. Doing this the night before saves a lot of time and effort. Soaking in hot water quickens the process.
2. Soak a cup of channa dal overnight.
3. Keep grated coconut ready in the refrigerator.
You can find the recipe of the yummiest dal makhani here . Its my husband’s signature dish and a favourite at home.
To save time pressure cook the lentils the previous night.
In case you do it in the morning, prepare the masala [till it is cooked along with tomato puree] simultaneously to reduce the preparation time.
Channa Dal Sundal
1. Pressure cook the soaked dal [rinse and use fresh water for cooking] with just enough water and a pinch of turmeric for 1 whistle.
2. Once the pressure comes down, drain the water and set aside.
3. For tempering : Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
4. Once the mustard splutters add a sprig of curry leaves, 1 chopped green chilli, salt to taste and 2 tsps of grated coconut. Stir well and add the cooked dal.
5. Toss for a minute before turning off the heat.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander [optional]
Note- Take care not to over cook the dal.
Like this meal plan? Try this Lunchbox idea too.