Lunchbox Ideas 17: Millet Pongal, Tomato Pachadi And More
Lunchbox Ideas 17
Short Break: Millet Pongal , Tomato Pachadi, Pomegranate Arils
Lunch : Phulka with Aalu-Karele Ki Sabzi, Mosambi
Prep Work For Previous Evening:
1. Knead the dough for the phulkas and store refrigerated in an airtight container.
2. Pressure cook 2 large potatoes [for the sabzi]. Refrigerate once cooled.
3. Scrape, slice and marinate the bittle gourd to prep up for the stir fry sabzi.
4. Dry roast the moong dal. Store in an airtight container once cooled.
5. Store grated coconut in your freezer.
1. Take 1/2 cup of Foxtail Millet and 1/2 cup of Roasted Yellow Moong Dal.
Pressure cook with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles. [You may add a pinch of turmeric powder]
2. For tempering : Heat 2 tbsps of ghee. Add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp of jeera. Once it starts to splutter add 1 dry red chilli [broken in half], a sprig of curry leaves and 1/2 tsp grated ginger. Stir for a few seconds. Add 1 tsp of jeera-pepper powder , salt to taste and 2 tsps of grated coconut. Mix well and stir fry for a minute. Turn off heat.
3. Mix the above with the cooked millet-lentils. Garnish with some chopped coriander and serve. You may add a little more ghee while serving.
1. Chop 2 medium tomatoes.
2. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, a pinch of heeng and a sprig of curry leaves.
3. Once the mustard splutters add the chopped tomatoes.
4. Add 1/4 tsp of chilli powder and salt to taste.
5. Cook until the oil separates.
6. Allow this to cool completely before adding 1 cup of whisked curd.
7. Mix well, garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Karela- Aalu Sabzi [Bittergourd Potato Stir Fry]
1. Wash and scrape the skin of 2 large bitter gourds.
2. Slice into round discs and remove the seeds in the center.
3. Toss the bitter gourd rings with a tbsp of salt and set aside for 15 mins to 1/2 an hour.
4. Rinse with water and squeeze to remove the bitter juice . Set aside.
5. Fry 1 cup of chopped onions in 1 tbsp of oil until they turn brown and caramalised.
6. Add the bitter gourd slices and fry until these start to turn crisp.
7. Add 1 tsp of coriander powder, 1 chopped green chilli, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder , 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 1 cup of chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. Mix well and cook on medium heat until the oil starts to separate.
8. Add 1 cup of boiled , cubed potatoes. Mix well and cook for a minute.
9. Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander.
Hope you like this Lunchbox Idea.
For similar meal plans click here.