Lunchbox Ideas – Day 4
Short break- Mini idly, Pumpkin/squash sambhar
Lunch- Matar chawal [peas pulao], boondi raita, cucumber slices, jaggery lemonade
PREP WORK FOR THE NIGHT BEFORE
- Cut the white pumpkin/ squash into medium sized cubes. [about 1 large cup]
- The idly batter should be prepared the previous evening and set to ferment overnight.
- Powder /grate about 1/4 kg of jaggery .
- Pressure cook 1 cup of tur dal/ arahar dal with 2 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric.
- Pressure cook the pumpkin cubes with just enough water for 1-2 whistles.
- Soak a lemon sized ball of tamarind in 1/2 cup water and prepare the tamarind extract.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add 1 tsp of mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp of methi/fenugreek seeds, a dry red chilli, a sprig of curry leaves and a pinch of heeng.
- Once the mustard splutters add the cooked pumpkin [only the vegetable, strain the liquid and keep aside]
- Stir and cook for a minute on medium flame.
- Add tamarind extract [strained]
- Add 1 and 1/2 tbsp of sambhar powder and 1 and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Stir well and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Add chopped tomato [1/2 a cup] and about 1/2 cup of the liquid reserved from the cooked pumpkin.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked and slightly mashed daal.
- Mix well and adjust consistency [if too thick add little water]
- Cook on low flame until ‘one boil’.
- Turn off heat and add chopped green coriander.
Matar chawal/ peas pulao [ One pot meal]-
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf, a tiny piece of cinnamon, 1 mace flower, 2 broken cardamoms.
- Stir fry on low flame.
- Add 1 cup of chopped onion and 1 slit green chilli.
- Fry until the onions turn pink.
- Add 1/2 cup of green peas.
- Wash 1 cup of rice and drain the water.
- Add it to the cooker and stir well.
- Mix 1 and 1/2 tsps of dhania/coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Close and pressure cook on medium heat for 1 whistle.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter/ghee and garnish with chopped coriander once the pressure comes down.
- Beat 1 cup of thick curd with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add salt, pepper, chat masala and 1/2 cup of plain raita boondi.
- Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes [for the boondi to soak]
- Add chopped coriander to garnish
- Dissolve 1 cup of powdered jaggery in 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups of cups of water.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 large limes into this.
- Strain the juice and serve [ tastes even better chilled]
For Homemade Idly Batter
- Soak 3 cups of idly rice , 1 cup of urad dal and 1 cup of poha in water for 5-6 hours.
- Wash well and drain the water.
- Grind into a fine paste in a wet grinder, adding a little water at a time. [batter should be of a smooth thick pouring consistency ]
- Add salt [I add about 3 tsp] and hand mix.
- Store in a large steel container and keep for 6-8 hours at room temperature to ferment.
- The batter will rise and double in volume. [ Store refrigerated once it ferments]
- For idlies, use the ‘top’ fluffy fermented batter – do not mix the batter and deflate it.
- Once done you can mix and use the batter the next day for dosa and other similar items.
Hope you liked this lunchbox idea. Check few more lunchbox ideas here.