Lunchbox Ideas 6
Menu For The Day
Short Break- Diced Watermelon, Oats Unniappam
Lunch- Vangi Baath [Brinjal Rice], Sago Pudding/kheer, Crunchy cucumber salad with olive oil and lemon dressing
Prep Work For The Night Before
- Keep the required amount of powdered oats and powdered jaggery ready for the unniappam.
- Prepare the ‘curry powder’ and store in an airtight glass jar.
- Soak 1 cup of sago in 1/4 cup of water in a closed container. Leave overnight.
- Roast 1/2 a cup of peanuts and store in an airtight jar once cooled.
Find the recipe link for the 10 minutes oats unniappam here.
Sago Kheer/ Jevarsi Payasam
- In a deep thick bottom vessel take 1 and 1/2 cups of water and add the bloomed sago pearls.
- Cook on medium flame for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 litre of milk and cook at low heat until the sago pearls turn transparent and the milk thickens.
- Keep stirring often to avoid the sago from settling down and burning.
- Add the required about of sugar [about 1/2 cup] and stir well.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Turn off heat and serve warm/ chilled.
Crunchy Cucumber Salad
- Peel and chop a cucumber into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the roasted groundnuts and a mix of seeds like pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, chia seeds etc [about 1-2 tsps]. You can also add nuts like almonds or walnuts.
- For the dressing – Mix 1 tsp of olive oil, juice of 1 large lemon, 1/2 tsp of sugar, 3/4 tsp pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss to mix well.
Vangi Baath/ Brinjal Rice
For Curry Powder- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and roast – 2 tbsps of channa dal, 2 tbsps of sabuth dhania [coriander seeds], 1 tbsp of urad dal, 3 large dry red chilles. Once the daal’s lose their raw smell and turn golden, turn off heat. Grind into a coarse powder once cooled. You can store this curry powder in an airtight jar and use as required.
- Chop 3 long green brinjals into tiny cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil [preferably gingilly oil ].
- Add 1tsp mustard seeds, a sprig of curry leaves and a pinch of heeng.
- Once the mustard splutters add the chopped veggies, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 and 1/2 tsp dhania powder and salt to taste [ 1 and 1/2 tsps]
- Stir fry the brinjal until well cooked.
- Add 2-3 tbsps of the curry powder. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Mix in 1 and 1/2 cups of cooked rice [cooked and cooled]
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Note- use a little extra oil to fry the brinjal [if needed] so that the masala gets well mixed with the rice.