Lunchbox Ideas 9: Instant Rava Dosa, Tomato Rice And More
Lunchbox Ideas 9
Short Break- Instant Wholewheat Rava Dosa with Jaggery Syrup, Sweetcorn Sundal
Lunch- Tomato Rice, Cucumber Raita, Papaya
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
1. Prepare the jaggery syrup if you are making a home made version.
2. Keep grated coconut ready for the sundal.
3. You can prepare the tomato rice masala in advance and refrigerate too [ only if you feel you want to save time in the morning]
Here’s the recipe link.
Sweet Corn Sundal
- Boil 1 cup of corn.
- Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- Add a sprig of curry leaves,a pinch of heeng, 1/4 tsp each of channa dal and urad dal, and a dry red chilli.
- Stir for a bit. Add 1/4 cup of grated coconut once the dals turn golden.
- Add the cooked corn and salt to taste.
- Mix well, cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Instant Wheat-Rava Dosa
- Mix 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of fine semolina/ chiroti rava .
- Add 1 large cup of water, salt to taste, a pinch of heeng and a 1/4 tsp of chilli powder.
- Mix well. The batter should be quite thin and of a pouring consistency. Add more water if required.
- Heat the dosa tawa on medium flame.
- Once the tawa is hot enough, pour a ladle full of batter from the top.
- Drizzle cooking oil and allow the dosa to turn golden and crisp on the edges.
- Flip and cook the other side for half a minute before removing off the heat.
- Similarly prepare the rest.
Note- The batter must be quite runny to get that ‘mesh’ like crispy dosa. Pour the batter only when the tawa is very hot. You may also add chopped onions/ deseeded chopped tomatoes , chopped coriander etc to make different versions of this quick and tasty instant dosa.
You can use store bought organic liquid jaggery or prepare it easily at home [ My wonderful friend Gayathri taught me how to make this and it is quite a useful recipe]
- Mix about 1 cup of powdered jaggery with 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat this mixture over a medium flame . Stir to dissolve the jaggery completely.
- Allow it to simmer. Skim off any dirt that floats on top / pass the liquid through a fine sieve.
- Continue to simmer until the jaggery syrup thickens to a desired consistency [and has a lovely aroma].
- Store in a glass jar once completely cooled.