Mom’s Eggless Cake-Whole Wheat Version
When I started baking, a little less than a year back, this is the recipe I played around with. Being a part of a healthy baking group made me try a whole wheat version of my mom’s classic cake. It wasn’t difficult at all because her recipe is versatile.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Oil
1 tsp vanilla essence [or any flavour of your choice]
1 tbsp Cocoa powder [ optional]
- Pre heat the oven at 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Sieve the whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda 15-20 times. [Yup you read it right]
- Mix the sugar and milk together [until the sugar dissolves completely].
- Add oil and beat the mixture well. [You may use your electric mixer for this. Just give it one or two churns]
- Add the sieved flour and fold in gently until no lumps remain.
- Add the essence and give it a mix.
- Pour into a greased baking tin. [You can use an 8 inch round tin for this recipe ]
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 C for 35-40 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- After 10 minutes, invert the cake on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- For marble cake- Pour the 3/4th of the cake batter into the greased tin and add the cocoa powder to the remaining batter. Pour this over the vanilla layer and draw marble like pattern using a fork.
- Oven temperature and time may vary. Bake until the cake starts to leave the sides of the tin.
- Sieving is a very important step to bring in lot of air into the batter. This makes the cake nice and fluffy.