Oats and Poha Cookies
|Oats and Poha cookies|
Adding a desi touch to cookies is something I thoroughly enjoy. Poha or beaten rice is an excellent substitute for rice flour, when it comes to baking. The oats, flattened rice and almonds blend with each other to give these cookies an amazing crunch and the inside has a hollow feel, making the cookie light and airy. The kids loved it.
Oats and Poha Cookies- Tasty buttery cookies made with flattened rice [poha] and oats and the goodness of almonds
1 cup Powdered oats
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup Poha / flattened rice [ medium]
1/2 cup+2 tbsps Powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp ghee
- Fry the poha in ghee till it loses its raw smell and feels crisp.
- Powder the fried poha and almonds together.
- In a large bowl mix the powdered oats, powdered poha- almond mix and the regular oats together. Mix well.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it turns light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients, combine and bring into a firm dough.
- The cookie dough may feel a little buttery or soft. Shape the cookies and place them in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour or in the freezer for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake at 150 C for 10 minutes. [ until the lower edges start to brown]
- Remove from the oven and after 5 minutes transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an air tight jar.
- I have made these cookies without almonds too. They taste just as nice. You may skip the almonds or add any other nuts of your choice too.
- You can also add other flavours to give the cookie a twist. I have tried cardamom and it tasted really yummy.
- These have a tendency to spread out or expand during baking. Do refrigerate until the dough feels firm. Also arrange them on the cookie tray with enough space in between each cookie.
Posted originally on JANUARY 12, 2016