Mom’s Eggless Cake
I have had this cake since I was 5. Mom would use the little round oven and we would keep peeking into the glass top to see the cake rising. The whole house would smell deliciously warm and I don’t think we ever waited for the cake to cool down, those warm slices would disappear within minutes.
Everyone remembers their first bake. Mom’s recipe introduced me into the beautiful world of baking. This is and will always be my favourite recipe.
This is perfect for beginners [I baked it when I was 14 and my almost 9 year old did it brilliantly 2 weeks back]. Can’t get simpler than this now, can it?
2 cups All purpose flour
3/4 tsp Baking soda
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Oil
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Pre heat the oven at 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Beat the milk, sugar, oil and vanilla essence together till it turns into a white creamy mix. [or you can simply put all the ingredients in an electric mixer and give it a few whips]
- Sieve the flour and baking soda together 15-20 times. Yes you read it right. This is my mum's tip for the softest eggless cakes.
- Fold in the sieved flour into the wet ingredient mix.
- Transfer into a greased baking tin [I used an 8 inch round tin].
- Tap the baking tin on the counter 1 or 2 times to level the batter.
- Bake in the pre heated oven at 180 C for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Invert over a wire rack after 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and slice or just have a few warm slices like me [I still can't resist doing this].
- Oven temperature and time may vary. Check on your cake after 25-30 minutes of baking.
- This recipe is pretty versatile. I love making a marble cake using the same. Once the batter is ready, simply divide it into two portions. Add 1 tbsp of sifted cocoa powder to one and give it a mix. Now just pour the two batters one over the other and make marble like patterns on top.
- You may use any flavour of your choice in case you don't want to make a vanilla cake.
- For making a chocolate cake- replace 1/4 cup of flour with cocoa powder and follow the rest of the steps as it is.
- The sieving like crazy step- You might find this weird but trust me it works and works brilliantly. Don't cheat on this one for sure. The sieving adds air and gives the cake its volume and texture.
- Nope this cake doesn't use baking powder, mum never did and I simply follow this one as it is.
Hope you enjoy baking this.
Posted originally on APRIL 28, 2016